Thursday, June 4, 2009

1 month in

Exactly one month ago I got diagnosed with cancer. I can't believe it's only been one month. It feels like at least 6 months that I've been dealing with this. All the doctor visits, appointments, phone conversations, cards in the mail, talks on the phone, internet searches on anything related and so on and so on. This journey definitely is a wild one. But I still feel very confident for things to come. I have read so much about it, there is not much new stuff I find these days. Yesterday I read the book "The purple butterfly" by a thyroid cancer survivor. It's her diary of that time. I ordered some more books about the topic. Now I am reading "Crazy, sexy cancer tips". It's like I am an involuntary member of a secret society, trying to learn all the rules to go by.
Not even 2 weeks until surgery. I am currently looking for some things for after the surgery, such as a nice pill dispenser. Hopefully I can find one online. I also need pillows/cushions, maybe a step to get in our huge bed and some more stuff. Still waiting on the laptop. Hopefully it'll come in time. The current thought in my head is the sound of cutting meat with scissors. I wonder if that's what it will sound like when they pop my neck open like the top of some push-open toothpaste? Nauseating thought, I know.

On a non-cancer note, I am so very happy Linda is here. We enjoy each other so much. There should be a law against separating best friends for that long a time! Yesterday we went for a long walk in the park (and in the Texas heat!). It was really lovely, made me realize that I do wish I had some friends like her here. The husband's company is priceless and yet, I hope I will make some friends soon. Maybe a fellow cancer patient? Oh no, down the cancer road again...

We had dinner at Cici's last night. Do they have those all over the U.S.? Not sure. It was good and we tried to hook Linda up with one of the pizza boys, apparently he felt stalked by us and took off before "we" could ask him out. :D

Today we are planning on going to the Galleria mall. Also, but I still need to ask Linda about that, I'd like her to return my old boss's stuff to her. Hopefully she'll do that. And tonight I'll be teaching my last German class for the Bonzenkinder. I can't believe it's been a year and I must admit I am a little sad. I got attached to them over time. I'm sure their sadness won't show much. ;o)
Love, Julia

8 comments:

San said...

Wow, echt, nur ein Monat? MIR kommt das ja schon länger vor, wie muss es Dir da gehen?
Ich finde es aber klasse, wie Du Dich mit allem auseinandersetzt! Das ist genau richtig - Flucht nach vorn! ;)

Ich freue mich außerdem, dass Du die Zeit mit Deiner besten Freundin so genießen kannst... ich verstehe Dich gut, mir ging es hier mit dem Anschluß ja ähnlich und meine beste Freundin (die übrigens auch Krebs hat *hmpf*) vermisse ich auch sehr!
Aber das wird schon... kommt Zeit, kommt Rat, kommt Vollbart :)

xoxo

Sazou said...

Ein Monat! Wow!! Mir kommt es auch schon etwas laenger vor.

Ich freu mich ganz doll, dass du so eine tolle Zeit mit deiner besten Freundin hast.

Patty said...

Deine Enstellung wie du dich damit auseinander setzt, finde ich echt stark!

Anonymous said...

Und ich dachte mir grad - ups, schon ein Monat.
Schön, dass du eine super Zeit hast! Und du wirst sicher auch bald in den USA eigene Freunde finden!
Dschordscha

Brown Sugar said...

Wow wirklich kommt einen schon viel laenger vor..Aber du schaffst es und bald ist deine OP. Echt schoen das du momentan Abwechslung hast. Hab ganz viel Spass Suesse...

xoxo

Melli said...

hast du schon mal bei etsy.com nach einem pillenspender geguckt? da kann man doch auch irgendwie sagen was man will und andere machen dann angebote und du suchst dir das beste aus.
oder du machst einen selbst. du kaufst einen ganz einfachen und bescrapst denn dann. am ende mit modge podge, oder wie das heißt, überziehen und fertig.
LG

Anonymous said...

you go girl! ich kann mich den mädels nur anschliessen. ich hatte nur den "thyroid cancer scare" als die meine knötchen gefunden haben aber die eine woche war schon der hammer. keine ahnung ob ich das so könnte wie du. auf der anderen seite hat mich die erfahrung gelehrt, dass man oft kräfte mobilisieren kann, wenn man muss, von denen man keine ahnung hatte, dass sie da sind. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I love you girl...yours Oma Linda bussi ;-)!