Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I can feel it

For about a week now I have felt that thing in my neck. It feels like a little egg is sitting in my tissue right next to the larynx (had to look that one up). When I swallow it gets pushed back, when I lie down in bed on my back it feels like there is something in the way in there. It is about an inch long and pretty oval and solid. I will have someone take a picture with my head all the way back for you to see the my cancerbump. How do I put photos on here???

What all doctors said who I've seen so far: "Be happy that it is in your neck and you found it so early. If something grows on the inside of your body beyond visibility, in the stomach for example, it usually does not get detected for years. And then, it is often too late." So I try to focus on all the positive things: I am young, otherwise as healthy as can be, thyroid cancer has a very good chance to be cured, over 90% of people survive it just fine.
If anyone is interested in a good article about it, check this out:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/282276-overview

Also, I talked to the scheduling lady from MD Anderson again this morning. I can have an appointment with a different doctor who, however, works in a team with Nancy Perrier, as "early" as May 21. Well that sure sounds a lot better to me! I agreed to it and am now waiting for confirmation. I would still get through two weeks until then but I will be able to do that. Somehow. I hope I can get this appointment, right now they are talking to my insurance. That's another thing on top of it all, I have to worry about the financial means to cover the expenses to cure me. What the hell! What is a live worth?? And how much is too much? I refuse to think about this anymore. I hope time will go by faster with my sister here. I'll keep posting the latest news. Ciao for now.

4 comments:

San said...

It's really good that you're focusing on the positive parts of your diagnosis. I am sure you'll do just fine.

There is a little icon in your editor window (in the editor task bar) which says "Add image". Then you can choose to upload an image from your computer or put in an URL (if the image is already online somewhere).
Hope that helps.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the earlier appointment and the insurance issue. I HATE dealing with US insurance. What insurance company are you with?

Melli said...

It is good to hear you got another appointment and don't have to wait this long. Let's hope that everything goes well and that they don't cancel on you. Being a German and being totally spoiled by our health system I can only image how you feel right now being all concerned about the costs and if your insurance is willing to pay.

Julia, I keep my fingers crossed and really wish that this nightmare is over soon!!!

Danii said...

Jules, keep focusing on the positives.. glad you got another appointment that soon!!

Anonymous said...

the insurance-thing would drive me up the walls, too. especially for someone like me, having grown up in a health care system like the one in germany, it is beyond me how a sick person has to spend time worrying about anything BUT getting better. you should NOT have to worry about how to pay for your treatment on top of everything else.

hang in there and enjoy the time with your sister :)