Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May the force be with me

Is that even from Star Trek? I don't know. What I do know, though, is that we watched Star Trek last night because the husband had to see it. When I saw all the nerds streaming in the theater I thought I was in it for a long one, but turns out it had its funny moments and even romance so it was not too bad.
I started tutoring again yesterday which is just great distraction I must say. The kids are just a joy to be around. The mother, however, I still cannot stand. She's one of those "I married rich, I am so cool" people. Ridiculous. Anyway, since I missed all last week's lessons I wanted to talk to her about also tutoring on Wednesdays and of course she asked about the cancer story. I told her, showed her and just talked a bit about it. Sure enough she says "You're lucky huh". And I was just thinking: WHAT? I couldn't believe she had said that. How could I be lucky? I had just told her about me being sick. And I thought about it on the way home. And sure enough, I thought to myself that this lady was probaly right. Everyone who knows a little bit about cancer says that if you ever have to pick a type of cancer, pick thyroid cancer. They have the best treatment options for it. You can live without your thyroid. Thyroid cancer is not likely to spread and if it does, there is a radioactive pill that can take care of a lot. I've started thinking that she is right, that I AM indeed lucky.
Also, I talked to one of the girls on the forum yesterday and she said something, that's lingering in my head: Cancer is not an acute disease. I do want that thing out big time, but it is not acute!
And then, I also made a decision:
I will not give this cancer any more life or meaning than it has already stolen from me.
I'm telling you, all those ideas and trying to achieve a healthy mindset and live normally is hard work for me. But unlike last week, it doesn't feel like I cannot possibly live through it anymore. I know I will.
Before I end this I want to thank everyone for your support. It is so nice of all of you to lend me your ears and encourage me and be there. It means the world to me!
Yesterday a lady from Jim's work gave him a picture for me. She had made a little scrappage with a German poem on it. She'd said that they are praying for me, that noone should go through this and that was why she had made me the picture. I couldn't believe it, I've never even met this lady! Truly amazing...

2 comments:

San said...

Yes, in a way you're lucky... because you went to the Doctor right away, just to get it checked out, it's treatable... of course, you're not lucky getting cancer in the first place, but I guess all things considered, it could be a lot worse...
it's great that you can focus on the positive stuff in your life now. You should.

HUGS.

Kerstin said...

Mensch Jules, die Force ist bei Star WARS!!! *lol*